I found a lot of great stuff this week. A little bit of algorithmic visualization, a little bit of glitch, a little bit of retrofuture and robot-y science. Hits all my buttons! Not much else to say about it. Let's check it out.
thinking in data [bost.ocks.org]
Fantastic article detailing using data visualization to make complex algorithms more intuitive. This gets a little math-y and code-y in certain parts, but there's tons of really cool interactive animations to look at that whether you're into the math and code or not. Worth a long stare.
real life retrofuturism [nautil.us]
This Used To Be the Future
A look at NASA's Ames Research Center and what once was a vision of the bright, shining future. Cool pictures within.
the trick is to forget to die [bbc.com]
The secrets of living to 200 years old
I threw this one in here because, hey, if we're in the future, we need to stay alive to see even more of it.
Glitchet Community Spotlights
Deaf Girl's Glitchy Music Recs
Nico / Deaf Girl
puts together glitch-inspired music track recommendations. He's awesome, and his picks are great. Annotations are his!
- First Warning by The Prodigy - One of my favorite 'get pumped' tracks, the only glitchy thing here is the use of really rough saw waves.
- Up In My Jam (All of a Sudden) by Kubi - This song is a feel good glitch song, I just fell in love with this when I heard, it's so good.
- Infinite Impulse by Sweet Valley - Sweet Valley is the side project of Nathan Williams who is the leader of Wavves. I love this, it's so weird and noir.
- Meow by Anamanaguchi - Anamanaguchi is probably the most popular 8bit rock band out there right now. Video is really cool too!
- We Are Rock Stars by Does It Offend You, Yeah? - Really cool dancy/glitchy dark rock.
Thank you, Nico! This is a great spread.
Michael Dempsey's Frontier Tech Analysis
Future of Frontier Tech Report
Glitchet reader Michael Dempsey reached out to me with some of his writing on the state of investment in things that are so future
and right up Glitchet's alley. Here's a tech report he wrote on recent movements in drone, space, augment reality and virtual reality sectors. He has shorter, more blog-like posts on his personal website
I Don't Trust Those Metal People
smart sex toys [bbc.com]
Intelligent machines: Call for a ban on robots designed as sex toys
"The physical act of sex will only be a small part of the time you spend with a sex robot - the majority of time will be spent socialising and interacting," the CEO of True Companion says. The company's boasted "world's first sex robot" has already had thousands of preorders at a price point of $7,000.
it only took like 7 years [recode.net]
Facebook Is Finally Developing a ‘Dislike' Button
Until they actually do implement the dislike button (or whatever it's going to be), I recommend commenting on your posts with the thumbs down unicode symbol, then liking that.