These are tutorials that cover multiple techniques or serve as good general primers.
Hex / Text Editing
Use text or hex editors to edit the low-level data of a file and break it.
Use audio editors to glitch out images by interpreting them as sound, either putting them back out into images or using them as "music".
Datamoshing / Video Glitching
Alter or destroy frames of video or GIFs with a variety of techniques.
Glitching out 3d models with fascinating results. Typically requires a basic understanding of 3d modeling. (I don't know a ton about this. Have a suggestion? Let me know!)
Miscellaneous Hackery / Resources
Cool tricks that don't necessarily fit under any specific category, or are more obscure.
Cool stuff put online for your using pleasure. Typically free.
GUI Tools / Applications
Drag 'n' drop, GUI, you can use them on your desktop. Free, trial, and paid marked with [free], [trial], and [$].
PYUV: raw video sequence player
- an extremely capable video playback tool that can view many videos broken beyond repair, and misinterpret other files as video - thanks Enad Yenrac! [free]
VoidGlitch - easy-to-use GUI tool that replicates common glitches (need a Dropbox account to download - will provide a mirror soon!) [free]
GlitchSort2 - Paul Hertz's Processing-based glitch tool [free]
pixeldrifter - uses an interesting algorithm to "drift" pixels in an image in real time [trial]
The Complete List of iOS Glitch Apps
Hex Fiend - hex editor for Mac [free]
HexEditor - hex editor for Windows [free]
GIMP - cross-platform free image editor [free]
Photoshop - you've heard of this one, right? [trial]
- open source, free sound editor
- professional digital audio editor [trial]
Cycling '74 Max
- professional data "patching" software used to visually manipulate streams of data [trial]
- introductory 3d modeling software [free]
- professional - and expensive - 3d modeling software [trial]
- professional - and free - 3d modeling software [free]
- video capturing/processing utility for Windows [free]
- cross-platform video editing utility for basic editing and encoding - use version 2.5.6, as newer versions do not glitch properly [free]
- a Utami VST for turning audio into datamoshing effects that get applied to GIFs [paid]
Programmatic Tools / SDKs
These are tools that require programming or command line knowledge to use. Some of them have tutorials a-plenty!
- I made this! interpret any arbitrary file as a bmp image
- I made this! destroy your files' bytes for fun and glitch
- multimedia video encoding / decoding framework often used to achieve glitch effects
- popular programming language and development environment for creating visual / generative art
- sound processing CLI utility
Pure Data / Pd
- open source visual programming language
- open source C++ toolkit for creative coding
- visual / textual live-programming environment for physical interfaces and real time motion grpahics
- publicly available glitch art libraries, tools, and examples on GitHub
- Ruby library for datamoshing AVI video
- glitch jpgs from the command line
William Woodruff's glitch scripts:
and accompanying blog post
Glitch Aesthetic History and Articles
Learn more about the origins of glitch aesthetic and its ilk.
There are a ton of little communities focused around the things that Glitchet is interested in around the net.
That's all, folks!
Nothing else to see here! Move along! Tell your friends about this page! And if you think something belongs here or something is broken, email me.